July 30, 2007
Does anyone else out there cringe at the diatribe currently spinning around regarding the proposed acquisition of Auckland International Airport by a UAE based entity?
It seems to me yet another example of good old Kiwi tall poppy syndrome/xenophobia/parochialism.
For the record;
- No one here complains when Graham Hart buys yet another Swiss packaging company
- As far as I am aware no one in Switzerland complains when the above occurs either
- The Emirati interests are well known for running businesses well
- No one in their right mind would purchase an infrastructural enterprise like AIA and run it into the ground
- We live in a global village
We can’t have it both ways – it’s either 70’s isolationism a la Muldoon or we go for the global village strategy – and if we go back to isolationism…..
No more widescreen LCD TV’s and cheap late model cars anymore….