Bet that got a fair few pulses racing.
Over on JKOnTheRun, JK wrote this excellent post where he details the core functional requirements (as he sees them) for a HHC;
- Web browsing
- Document manipulation
He sees that this would best be met through a device with the following attributes;
- Solid state drive for good battery life and robustness
- ROM based embedded operating system for no-lag boot and super security
He also sees that Apple is the natural place for this device to be conceived from.
I kind of disagree, putting on my “in the clouds” hat, and leading on from previous concept posts about the OS (or not) of the future, here’s how I see the perfect HHC looking
- ROM based augmented web browser (AWB) that handles all device driving tasks
- Solid state drive for minor storage tasks (in essence the local drive for google gears apps)
- At least a 12 hour battery life
- Good sized, trans-reflective and touch sensitive screen
- Absolutely mint communications with some smart thinking about WiFi ease of use
For all of these reasons I actually see the perfect HHC coming out of the Google labs – they understand the cloud”, they have no vested interests in operating systems, they understand the connectivity issues and frankly they, of all of the potential players, are the least “old legacy”.
Mark my words……