As the world increasingly transacts a greater proportion of its business via the web, there is a corresponding increase in attacks against those sites. The sad reality is that malicious activity scales at a similar rate as the legitimate use of a technology increases – as more stuff happens on the web, more bad stuff happens also.

And these attacks are getting more sophisticated and more successful. In recent times there has been a large crescendo in the number of external attacks that have been successful – while high-profile breaches such as Target and Anthem get the lion’s share of press attention, perhaps more worrying is the large number of smaller organizations that are targeted. While larger organizations often have the resources to mitigate attacks, small players often don’t. Interestingly, only 41% of web traffic originated from humans – while part of the remaining 59% comes from legitimate sources (web services calling individual sites for data example), a not-insignificant proportion comes from bad players.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Ben Kepes

Ben Kepes is a technology evangelist, an investor, a commentator and a business adviser. Ben covers the convergence of technology, mobile, ubiquity and agility, all enabled by the Cloud. His areas of interest extend to enterprise software, software integration, financial/accounting software, platforms and infrastructure as well as articulating technology simply for everyday users.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.