This is cool. Project Better Place is partnering with the Israeli Government, Renualt and Nissan to roll out what is in effect subscription based transportation throughout Israel.
The plan by Project Better Place to bring EVs to the masses by creating a network of charging stations and battery exchange depots. The idea, according to founder Shai Agassi, is to sell EVs like cell phones, where a monthly fee gets you access to batteries and the charging infrastructure.
- The cars will use lithium-ion batteries
- They’ll offer a range of 60 miles in the city and 100 miles on the highway
- Performance similar to a 1.6 liter gasoline engine
- 500,000 charging stations to be installed throughout Israel
- Renault developing battery packs that can be replaced at automated exchange depots
Obviously, given Israel’s geographical location, and geopolitical situation, a petroleum alternative is a very appealing prospect