News that Nathans finance is the latest casualty. They seem to be dropping like flies around here.
Some not particularly sympathetic observations;
- Didn’t anyone see this coming? These companies need to borrow off invesors to retire maturing debt. If things get shaky and borrowing gets harder they cannot retire the debt they need to – that’s called insolvency and they’re all only an economic hiccup away from it
- If you want security put your cash under your mattress or if you want sort of security and a return deposit it with a bank – anything else has a risk associated with it
- No financial adviser will ever take the sort of care of your money that you would
- Above is compounded when you consider said financial adviser is possibly getting a backhander from the fund he’s selling you into
- Buy land son they’re not making any more
- Diversify diversify diversify
- Limit your exposure
- Never borrow to buy an asset that either depreciates or has the potential to do so (and yes I know property has a cycle but over the long term the cycle trends up)
- Don’t IPO anytime soon!